Random Thoughts

Submitted: Monday, Oct 30, 2006 at 22:45
ThreadID: 38986 Views:1855 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I'm not going to bore you with a travelogue of the recent trip up the GRR and Kulumbaru Road (with the bro (Matt M), down the Tanimi, and along the Oodnadatta track as most members are familiar with this route. Just some random thoughts and observations. Oh and by they way, I had a fantastic time and loved it, not of the things below spoiled my trip at all.

1.Amazing how you get to read the road conditions just by the colour of the road (those deep red bits are a bitch)

2.there is no way to keep bull-dust out of a 40 series troopy – period! Get used to it!

3.while on the topic of 40 series – what have you got to do to kill one of these things ?! Seriously, I am simply amazed at the pounding the old girl took, including some absolute teeth rattlers – it just shook it off and came back for more. Amazing vehicles.

4.Bolting the gas bottle holder to the back door was not a good idea – 2 x 6” cracks proved this theory – oh well, you live and learn.

5.I thought Billiluna was a pretty depressing place, until I saw Yuendemu. Makes Billiluna look like a model of civic pride by comparison. Total s-hole of a place.

6.All Germans driving Britz rentals are suicidal, either that or they haven’t figured which side of the road to drive on yet.

7.In fact – all Europeans driving Britz rentals are suicidal!

8.I still have 2 screws that fell out of the dash – haven’t figured out where they came from yet…..

9.Wilpena Pound was somewhat disappointing – either it suffered in comparison with the Kimberly, or hitting it by accident on the weekend of school holidays didn’t improve the outlook

10.March Flies at Bell Gorge were horrendous – however Matt’s kids discovered the art of feeding them to the fish – some sort of poetic justice in this.

11. Kimberly region was simply spectacular – enuf said.

12.Saw one car only between Marla and Oodnadatta – amazing how it drove past as I was stopped taking a leak on the side of the road – this happened also on the Tanami. I have a theory that if you break down – take a leak as this will guarantee someone will drive past.

13.Arkaroola is spectacular – pity about the camp site on the top of the hill – I’ve seen gravel pits that were smoother – at least it was fairly cheap!

14.To the family with the two whiney, whinging daughters (who were still bitching at 3am in the morn) camped next to me at Arkaroola, there’s a special place in hell for you (or maybe you already spawned it)

15.To the wife of the guy I helped start his 80 series at Western Plains Zoo – it was not his fault the battery went flat – this just sometimes happens – to the guy I helped start his 80 series at Western Plains Zoo – ditch the bitch!

16. I now understand why the locals call El Questro – “El Chequebooko” – pretty speccy though – to the management of El Questro – charging a $1 fee for using eftpos to pay for a $90 campsite with bugger all (read no) facilities was an insult.

17.Best you don’t think about the price of Deiso when filling up – not much you can do about it anyway.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Tuesday, Oct 31, 2006 at 00:18

Tuesday, Oct 31, 2006 at 00:18
Nice Scott

I hope our Troopy handles it as well as your LOL....
AnswerID: 201958

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 31, 2006 at 10:22

Tuesday, Oct 31, 2006 at 10:22
Richard,

It was interesting to see the number of people who came up to me at campsites etc. to look at the old girl and confess they cut their teeth 4wdriving on 40 series. To a man they all missed the robustness and simplicity of the 40 series. Didn't miss the rough ride tho! All of them had affection for the old 40's.

Funnily enough, it was a sentiment echo'd by a number of mechanics I spoke to. A few of them complained that it was just getting too hard (and costly) to keep up with the compliance with the later series Tojo's (and other marques), and were considering chucking it in as they were getting too complex. Allright if you are in a city dealership, but in a one man operation in the middle of woop woop, it was just too much hassle.

Food for thought on the newer technology.
FollowupID: 461489

Reply By: Member - Ross (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 31, 2006 at 06:23

Tuesday, Oct 31, 2006 at 06:23
Scott,

Enjoyed your thoughts.......

Regards
Ross
AnswerID: 201974

Reply By: Member - Jack - Tuesday, Oct 31, 2006 at 07:25

Tuesday, Oct 31, 2006 at 07:25
Hi Scott:

Gotta agree about the Kimberleys - spectacular.

You are spot on about taking a leak and having someone turn up ... happens to me *every* time.

El Questro - could not agree more. As I said when I was there earlier this year ... over rated, over priced and over booked.

Enjoyed reading your random thoughts.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 201978

Reply By: Pajman Pete (SA) - Tuesday, Oct 31, 2006 at 08:48

Tuesday, Oct 31, 2006 at 08:48
Enjoyed your thoughts. Glad you and Matt had a good time. I served with Matt in patrol boats years ago.

Pete
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 201995

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 31, 2006 at 09:43

Tuesday, Oct 31, 2006 at 09:43
Thanks Pete,

Matt's taking the opportunity while 6 months away from the puss to go somewhat feral. Wild bush beard and no haircut. Definately not regulation. They're loving it and not even sparing and brain cells thinking about returning to the 'Grey Funnel Line' :-) Kids are having a ball.
FollowupID: 461474

Follow Up By: Pajman Pete (SA) - Tuesday, Oct 31, 2006 at 12:41

Tuesday, Oct 31, 2006 at 12:41
I'm not sure that "Matt" and only "somewhat" feral (or somehat anything) belong in the same scentence - he was always high speed, low drag and fitted patrol boat life rather well. He would have made a great buccaneer in the age of piracy.

Pete
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 461510

Sponsored Links